View: 49|Reply: 0

And they have the cheek to send missionaries to educate us*

[Copy link]
8-6-2020 02:37:06 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have just tonight starting watching this, since my childhood. Now I was only young when I was first allowed this, I think maybe around thirteen. At that time it was all about the phrases " I'll hav alv" " sambo" "nignog" " honkey" "snowflake" etc.

As so rightly stated often by other reviews, it is not racist in the slightest. Eddie did tend to come off worse, but always came across as ignorant and bigoted. Did it make me racist, not all. In fact this show perhaps embedded the pointlessness of being racist and the stupidity of racist people. It is also not so far fetched as one might imagine. It's set up in the north of England, I lived up north, Yorkshire, in a town with a large Asia population. They was a lot of prejudice about. One example, when the holidays came, a lot of the kids would go what they called " paki bashing". Even my dad was a racist, though I would rather prefer to say ignorant, perhaps still is. I am thankful of this show, it showed me that people are people and race and skin shade should not be a barrier. There's good and bad in everyone. Actually I think the powers that be, need us to have prejudice against each other.

* not word for word but was a line Bill said in series 1 episode 3. Eddie had been his normal ignorant self.

This would have gone over my head in my youth, although I might not have seen it before.

Still funny as I remembered, but perhaps for very different reasons this time around.

score 8/10

baldrickadder 1 August 2015

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3288957/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部